The Austrian Supply Chain Pressure Index (ASCPI)

The Austrian Supply Chain Index

The COVID-19 pandemic, existing geopolitical conflicts and trade wars have exposed the vulnerability of supply chains to global and regional shocks. ASCII researchers have developed the Austrian Supply Chain Index (ASCPI) to better quantify and analyze supply bottlenecks that affect the Austrian economy.  

Methodologically, the ASCPI is based on the GSCPI (Global Supply Chain Index) of the Federal Reserve New York, with the difference that the ASCPI focuses on supply-side bottlenecks that are relevant for Austrian companies. 

To this end, it combines information from 10 different indicators (5 indicators from Austrian company surveys, 5 global transportation cost indicators) in order to present shortages affecting Austria in just one indicator. The result is a summary overview of the stress level that companies in this country currently face. The index is updated monthly. 

Data gaps are closed based on the Kalman filter (modeling as a state space model) with the help of additional auxiliary variables. This allows the ASCPI to be displayed back to 2006. Furthermore, the indicators are adjusted for demand (new orders). The purpose of this is to eliminate the economic component in the variables so that the indicators primarily represent supply chain pressure on the supply side. 

Line Chart 

The yellow and red areas in the chart allow a quick interpretation of the data. The yellow area marks the probability that 2/3 of the observations are below the shown limit. The red area is based on the one-sided 90% confidence interval, i.e. the probability that 10% of the index values are above this limit. 

Heat Map 

In the heat map, the values of individual indicators are shown. It is intended to facilitate the interpretation. interpretation. Indicator values that are likely to be among the 1/3 highest values of the indicator values are colored yellow. Red values are based on the one-sided 90% confidence interval, i.e. the probability that 10% of the indicator values are above this limit. 

NEWS

Since the COVID-19 pandemic, supply bottlenecks are no longer a novelty and current geopolitical conflicts and trade wars have exposed the vulnerability of supply chains to global and regional events. In order to better quantify and analyze supply bottlenecks, the Austrian Supply Chain Pressure Index (ASCPI) was developed at the Supply Chain Intelligence Institute Austria and presented at a press conference in Linz on June 5 as part of the Austrian Logistics Day.
The COVID-19 pandemic, existing geopolitical conflicts and trade wars have exposed the vulnerability of supply chains to global and regional shocks. ASCII researchers have developed the Austrian Supply Chain Index (ASCPI) to better quantify and analyze supply bottlenecks that affect the Austrian economy.
The semiconductor industry is a cornerstone in contemporary technological infrastructure. Embedded in a complex industrial ecosystem it is shaped by regional specialization, evolving, and globally distributed firm networks, and technological innovations. To illustrate the semiconductor value chain and the importance of Austria's industry in it, a team of ASCII scientists led by ASCII Director Peter Klimek analyzed the regional roles within the worldwide semiconductor value chain.